About Me

My photo
I was recently diagnosed with Distal RTA & Sjogren's Syndrome, which has been a spiritual wake up call for me. I decided to create a blog to empower myself, educate my family & friends and create support for others. I live in Central Florida with my partner, my 10-year old son, an epileptic pug and a rescued cat. I am mecurial, sensitve, passionate and intense.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Wonder Woman Never Got Sick

If you haven't been to the ChronicBabe.com yet be sure to go there as soon as you finish reading this post. It's a fabulous resource for women living with chronic illness. I read an older article there this evening and there were some lines in it that I identified with so strongly I had to share it here. "As a feminist, being ill puts a whole new spin on being sick. Shouldn’t I be independent, in control, not a victim? How do I resign myself to needing help, to having to ask anyone for anything? The fragile porcelain doll was never my female ideal. I am a child of the seventies. Wonder Woman never got sick. The needs of your body are valid, and you need and deserve to have them met. Not asking for help when you need it is a great way to go from under the weather to sick. Feminists value the female body. Let that begin with yours." According to the original post this came from, Colleen McKee is a teacher, writer, and activist as well as the co-editor of Are We Feeling Better Yet? : Women’s Encounters with Health Care in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment